Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Derby Day Part II

I blogged on Friday about Derby Day. Little did I know tragedy would befall the race. The only filly in the race, Eight Belles ran impressively, ultimately finishing second to Big Brown. To recap, after crossing the finish line, eight Belles collapsed. I'm not sure how much of it the camera and thus the television audience saw, but the other horses made enough of a commotion to alert the commentators and announcers that something was amiss. Michael and I, like everybody I suspect, watched without a clue that what was going on would be as bad as it was. Announcers were cutting from one to another in attempt to keep coverage rolling while trying to find out what happened. Somebody snagged the veterinarian and they instantly cut to him. And this is when things really got horrific.
The vet said, live and on the air, that Eight Belles had suffered compound fractures to both front ankles, an extremely painful injury, and so had been euthanized on the track.
What?!? Did he just say euthanized? OMG! He did. He said euthanized.
I have to tell you, after just watching such a beautiful horse run like a champion, this was sad and jarring news indeed. In a horserace, you almost expect to see a horse get bumped and go down during a race, or even to see a jokey get thrown. It isn't pretty, but it happens. Horses, after all, are massive and powerful animals. But this? This news after the race is over? No, you don't expect that.
Naturally, the speculation started instantly. There have been calls for an investigation, as their should be, into the jockey, the race, the horse, the trainer, the health of the horse, etc. When something like this happens, no stone should be left unturned. Bring it on, I say. Except to those people who say a filly should not have been in the race. Um, hello. She finished second! If you want to question whether a horse should have been in the race, ask the question of the horse who came in last. I'm an equine feminist as well I suppose.
I must admit, this Derby made me regret my enthusiasm for horseracing. I felt a little ashamed that my interest might have somehow contributed to this tragedy. It is undeniably one of the saddest things I have seen in sports.
I do want to make one point, not about the race or the horse, but about public relations, being a pr practitioner myself. To the vet: doc, you do not announce the death of a horse five minutes after the Kentucky Derby. There is just no way to recover the festive atmosphere after that. If you are forced to make any statement at all, you just say that track officials are looking into the situation. True, but vague enough to keep the program moving along. Let me repeat: You do not announce the death of a horse immediately following the Kentucky Derby. I feel sure Churchill Downs will have just such a policy in place, oh, probably by yesterday.
For my part, this will forever color how I view horseracing and the Kentucky Derby.

1 comment:

Treen said...

You're right, they should have never handled it the way they did.

It's really just a sad story, period. I felt awful about it.

Blog Archive