Friday, May 9, 2008

A Bad Week, Cholesterol, and Cell Phone Etiquette

So here's another collection of random thoughts from me. Actually, most of my thoughts of late have been of the random variety because this has been the week from hell. Hell, I tell you! There is a pretty nasty budget cut situation going on at work that directly impacted my department but thankfully, not my job. Not yet anyway. That situation brought on one screamer of a headache that kept me down for about two days, two days that I really did not have to spare. Because we are not mentally sound people, Michael and I are involved in a home upgrade project, right here when we're six weeks away from having a baby. This week was the worst of it though, which I'm pretty sure I have been saying every week for two months now. But the carpet layers came this week and that part of the nightmare is over. for now. That finishes up all the indoor work except for the nursery. The backyard is still a giant mud pit, but we're getting to that.
We got Garnet, my 13-year-old black Lab, a new collar. It's pink with silver reflective paw prints on it. It is too precious and she loves it. She's always worn the training collar, standard apparel for a service dog, but she's started using the jingling sound that collar makes to her advantage. My dog has a very devious mind. When she doesn't think we are attending to her needs fast enough-- say, in the middle of the night-- she does that flappy head and ear thing usually reserved for shaking off water. The end result is that she wakes me up several times a night with the collar jingling. So we're putting this new canvass collar on her at night, but putting the training collar back on her during the day. Like I said, she's devious, and knows that I can't hear her without the jingle jingle of the training collar, so she uses this to her advantage. "Garnet, come. Garnet, come! Garnet, get over here damn it!!!" All the while, she's sitting about five feet from me, smirking. Really, she smirks. But she really does love her new collar, so much so that I have trouble getting the old training collar back on her in the mornings. Anyway, so I want to take a picture of Garnet with her snazzy new collar, but as you might imagine, Blinkie here ain't so good with the picture takin'. So I'm going to see if Michael can get to that this weekend, you know, in between the pressing yard work, nursery readying, and Mother's Day. I told you this was the week from hell.
We have not been grocery shopping in ten days. Now, I realize that that's standard for some people, but not for us. We don't eat out a lot, preferring to cook at home and take our lunches to work. We just haven't had time for grocery shopping this week. Well, we probably did but I had that killer headache I mentioned, and then last night, well it was raining, and who wants to go grocery shopping in the rain. Anyway, so for breakfast this morning, instead of our usual healthy whole grain bagel or cereal, we went through the drive-thru at Hardee's. I got a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and a large order of hash rounds. Yikes! But really, a cholesterol overdose was just the way to end this week, trust me. There is also the incredibly weird situation going on with my weight. I'm pregnant, as you might recall from my relentless mentioning of that fact, and I had my Ob appointment yesterday. I lost a fourth of a pound. What! Now, I am more conscious of what I eat right now than I ever have been at any point in my life, but I don't think you could say I'm really sacrificing. If I want ice cream (and I want it a lot let me assure you) then I have ice cream. Mmmmm, ice cream. Michael, maybe you had better pick up some ice cream on your way home. I'm pretty sure we're out. Wait, where was I? Right, my weight. So I lost eleven pounds early on in my pregnancy from the morning sickness, and since then have been gaining and losing in turn. Taken from my weight at my first appointment, I have gained a total of less than ten pounds during my pregnancy. Not bad. But I have also lost more weight overall than I have in a very long time. How fair is that? Some sick joke from the diet fairy? So, I figured that lost fourth of a pound entitled me to a sausage biscuit. Ah, I think we might have just hit on why diets never work for me.
One more thing, at the Ob's office yesterday, there were two people in the waiting room talking on cell phones at the same time. They kept getting louder and louder in an effort to talk over each other. Actually, there were way more than two people talking on cell phones, but these two were particularly annoying. It was like listening to Dueling Rednecks. Here's the thing people: No matter how far away the person you're talking to on the phone is, they can still hear you. It's sort of the point of a telephone. There is no need to shout! Really. Honestly. I'm sure about this. I realize the topic of cell phone etiquette is overdone and largely ignored, but let me say anyway that when you can leave the room to talk on your cell phone, then please do so. Your fellow doctor's office waiters will thank you.
So I hope everyone has a great weekend. Don't forget, it's Mother's Day on Sunday. If you forget, you'll never hear the end of it. Not officially a mom yet, I'm only asking for a cake. And really, I'd be asking for that cake regardless of it being Mother's Day. It's that fourth of a pound, you understand.

No comments:

Blog Archive