Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snow Days

We have snow! In Kentucky! Real snow! Probably, my Michigan-born readers would laugh at what a Kentuckian considers real snow, but it’s the most snow we’ve had here at one time in several years. So what did I do to commemorate this rarity? Did I bundle up, go outside, and build a snowman? Did I throw snowballs at my husband? Did I sled? Heavens no. I did none of those things. As with most things in nature, I am a passive admirer, an indoor observer. I like the thought of a cold snowy day far more than I enjoy the actual physical experience of it. The way Michael and I chose to honor this momentous occasion was to stay inside, watch TV, and bake a cake. But it was snow day TV and a snow day cake, and that’s different somehow. I imagined our five inches of snow as a raging blizzard, Michael and I inside making the best of the hardship, consoling ourselves with mindless entertainment and chocolate. I imagine this is how our ancestors withstood the brutal conditions that were their daily lives. Minus the History Channel and Duncan Hines of course, but you get the picture.
If it wasn’t for the snow, then we’d just be lazy, gluttonous slobs. Thanks to the snow though, we’re soldiering on, keeping our spirits up in the face of a bleak late-winter storm, and being good citizens by staying off the roads. There are few things that a creative mind can’t justify into a noble sacrifice.

2 comments:

Treen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Treen said...

Haha, you're right, I am laughing.

That sounds nice though...this particular winter has been awful here.

I'm a veteran of snowy roads, and I have a car that generally handles them beautifully. But this year has yielded a lot of terrible driving conditions in which I am trying not to drive in a state of sheer panic.

Blog Archive