Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thursday Thirteen-- Favorite Books

I realize that I am posting this on Wednesday, but there's a reason, and it's a tale of two computers, one of which hates Blogger.
I have always been a reader. By the time I was four years old, I had Alice in Wonderland (the Little Golden Book version) memorized cover to cover, and still, I demanded that it be read to me every night at bedtime. That love of books has never waned. I have always understood the power of a good story. Many books have touched me, but the ones listed below are the ones that set up shop and will live with me forever.

1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
2. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
4. The Harry Potter series by J.K. rowling
5. Persuasion by Jane Austen
6. Bridget Jones's diary by Helen fielding
7. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
8. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon-- but only the first three quarters. Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager, the next two books in the series, are also excellent.
9. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
10. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
11. The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy
12. The Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich
13. Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was really surprised when I read Bridget Jones's diary, because I wanted to hate it and I didn't. I actually liked it quite a bit.

White Oleander is one of those stories that wraps you up completely in it. The Phantom Tollbooth is great, if you don't mind fantasy books that you can find in the children's section. I'm assuming you probably don't, since Harry Potter made the list.

Blog Archive