Monday, October 1, 2007

The Green Light

Yes, it seems I did vanish from the blogosphere, but I am back. My initial absence had to do with a plumbing nightmare at our house, which is not the topic of this entry, but certainly will be in the future because seriously, I have much to say on the state of plumbing in America. Then I was incommunicado because of a wicked bug I must have picked up somewhere. Let's just say "projectile vomiting" and leave it at that. And then there was my scheduled absence, which I was unable to announce to my maybe three regular readers because of said plumbing and vomiting issues. So after much ramble and preamble, here's the point of this entry.
"Go ahead and get pregnant." Those were the words of my neurosurgeon-- let's just call him Dr. Overly Cautious. This is an extremely big deal. It's the equivalent of him throwing us a baby shower. Everything that could have gone right during my week of appointments at the National Institutes of Health did. My hearing has improved to pre-E.L.S.T. surgery levels, the top-notch urology radiologist confirmed that my abdominal CT scan showed perfectly healthy kidneys, adrenals, pancreas, and liver, and of course there's the neuro appointment wherein I got those famous words: "Go ahead and get pregnant."
Michael and I had been withholding any excitement about procreating until after this appointment. And now, I'm sort of terrified because holy crap—we really can do this thing. I guess I never really thought we could, and so wouldn't let myself get too excited about it. A couple of things helped me realize that yes, we really can do this. First, Molly and Dan are the absolute best friends that anybody could ever have—ever! We went to a baby store in Bethesda, and Molly very patiently showed me all the cool baby gadgets that proved to me that the chances of me accidentally drowning my baby in the bathtub are pretty slim. Like, they make tubs and things to prevent it! Who knew? Well yeah, probably everybody, but I didn't. Molly, I love you. And then there's Dan. Dan talks fairly constantly. I'm sure he says lots of profound things, but they sort of get lost in the static, but he happened to have been profound at a time when I must have been paying attention. He told me about this blind couple (both parents were blind) in Kalamazoo who had three kids and how well they managed. Sure, I knew blind people had kids and did it just fine. I even know some of them, but Dan managed to say just the right thing at just the right time, and I hope he knows how much I appreciate it. And then, driving back home to Kentucky, we were listening to the Cubs game on XM radio. The Cubs became the first National League team to clinch a play-off spot. That's the Chicago Cubs, people, the ones who haven't won a World Series since 1908.
A clean bill of health, the green light from my doctors, and the Cubs are in the play-offs-- that's just about all I need in the way of signs from the universe.

1 comment:

Molly said...

1. I love you too. And really, we're just getting started. Soon you'll be introduced to the wonderful world of the potty chair.

2. Dan is the king of saying what you need to hear when you need to hear it. Why do you think I married him?

3. Max cried when the announcer said that Nationals Baseball was over for the year.

Blog Archive