Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What Kind of Question is That?

I haven't told a lot of people about my newly acquired urge to procreate, but the few I have told have been more than a little shocked. It seems I have acquired a reputation as a "baby hater" to use one friend's words, and that simply is not the case, although I get how people might think that-- "Baby Shower Hell" post below, for example. I have always been very pro-children, just more from a social policy standpoint than from a "pass me the precious bundle" standpoint. Well okay damn it! Can't a woman change her mind? So now people keep asking me why I want to have a baby. What the hell kind of question is that anyway? I am not often left stuttering, searching for words, but this question does it to me every time. Is there a right answer? I'm a straight A overachiever type, so if this is some kind of test, then I seriously have to get it right. It's what I do.
I do not need a baby to make my life complete. I do not need a baby to fill some gaping void in my life. My happiness does not depend entirely on my ability to reproduce. Do such admissions somehow make me bad mommy material? Is there some sort of maternal test that I have failed? Seriously, I want to know. I have to know!

2 comments:

Molly said...

There is no right answer. My experience is that one day you wake up and you realize that this is just the right next step for you. You could just as easily have decided to run a triathalon or go to law school or become a pastry chef. You do it just because you want to--not because you've got some kind of a master plan to take over the world by reproducing.

And furthermore: what a crappy question. I'm just as surprised as everybody else, but who cares? Why question something that clearly works, even when it doesn't make sense?

Anonymous said...

Molly-- It means a lot to me that you don't think I'm crazy. But then, probably you've always thought I was crazy and this is just more craziness. either way, thanks.

Blog Archive