Friday, May 25, 2007

It Depends on Which End You're Standing at.

The Kentucky heat and humidity arrived just in time for Memorial Day, summer's traditional kick-off. Yesterday, Michael and I went out to get ice cream, which we brought back home and ate in rocking chairs on the front porch. it was a beautiful summertime evening. Yes, it was hot and humid, but it's May, so the heat and humidity are new and they are accompanied by the sounds of baby birds chirping in the bush at the corner of the house. How can it be miserable when there are baby birds, I ask you?
Fast forward to august. In August, I will not be waxing poetic about the heat and humidity. I will not be eating ice cream on the front porch. In August, I will be lying in the living room floor in front of an a.c. vent or standing with my head in the freezer because August is hot and humid and gross. And hot. The ability to appreciate heat and humidity depends entirely on which end of summer you're standing at. This weekend, I'll be at the end that has cookouts with friends, very few mosquitoes, happy-colored frozen drinks, and even a cool breeze or two.
Happy memorial Day to all.

No comments:

Blog Archive