Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Was that a trend that just went by?

I am not a trendsetter. I am not even a trend follower. Truth be told, I probably couldn't recognize a trend if one landed on me. I hear people constantly bemoaning the writers strike and complaining about how this is impacting their lives. Except for the news coverage of the strike, I probably would not have even noticed it. My TV viewing habits consist of the Weather Channel, the Food Network, and syndicated re-runs of older TV shows that I watch in the afternoons. As I already mentioned in a previous post, the newest TV show I got interested in was Firefly, which I started watching on DVD after it had already gone off the air. In the pop culture community, I am the village idiot-- This cluelessness is not limited to TV. It pervades every part of my life. My favorite music is the Beatles, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, and U2. Radio stations might as well be broadcasting from Pluto for all the attention I give new music. And yes, unfortunately, my fashion sense is equally behind the times. I long for the 80's days of tight rolled blue jeans. Hey, I'm short; it's a matter of practicality. I maintained that Crocs were the ugliest, most useless shoes ever made until about six months ago. Let me guess, nobody is wearing Crocs now that I'm a convert?
I guess it is a sign of what an adult I have become that this tendency of mine to be out of style bothers me not in the least. I love my life, I love my husband, I love my home, and I love me most days-- so what if I wear Birkenstocks and listen to the Boss? I don't have the time, patience, or money to be trendy. And it just isn't that important to me. I feel sure that when my kid is thirteen, she will be completely mortified by Michael and me, but that's okay. If she can convince others that she was left on the doorstep by gypsies, then I'll applaud her storytelling and powers of persuasion during commercial breaks of "Everybody Loves Raymond."

No comments:

Blog Archive