Monday, November 26, 2007

Best Buy? Yeah right.

On Saturday, Michael and I went to Best Buy to purchase a big screen TV. We have been wanting a new TV for a while, and Michael saw that this one, a Panasonic 42-inch plasma, was on sale for $899. Figuring that we aren't likely to have a lot of spare money in the future, we decided to go ahead and buy it. This is Michael's Christmas gift, birthday gift, and anniversary gift all in one. We spent all day Sunday rearranging furniture to accommodate the new TV, which is fine since we had been talking about rearranging furniture for a while. Trust me when I tell you that for a blind person, this rearranging furniture business is a big deal. It will leave me bruised for the next week until I finally remember that the coffee table is in a different place. So with furniture rearranged and living room tidied up, we set about hooking up the TV.
We had purchased a wall mounting kit to hang the TV on the wall. Shortly after opening said wall mounting kit, Michael read-- very near the top of the instructions-- that if this kit doesn't work, it isn't necessary to return it to the store where it was purchased, simply call the company and they will send an adaptor for $9.99. Oh hell no! Oh hell fucking no! We spent $79 on this particular wall mount, and I thought that was very near outrageous. Had I wanted to spend more money on a wall mount, I would have done so, but I did not wish to spend more money and I continue not to wish to spend more money. Cynic that I am, I suspect this is a scam this particular company is running to get people to pay more money for a thing they think they have to have. Um, no. Our cable company has us by the balls. Our insurance company has us by the balls. AT&T has us by the balls. But you, Television Wall Mount Kit Company, can get your hands off my balls!
Naturally, this is going to necessitate a trip to Best Buy to return the wall mount kit-- the universal wall mount kit that Best Buy assured us would work with our TV, but that does not. If you've ever tried to return anything to Best Buy, you're shaking your head and bemoaning the futility of the attempt, but rest assured, I am an expert in making a scene. Raising nine kinds of hell is an inherent talent of mine. I have been known to throw hissy fits of epic proportions. This used to embarrass Michael, but now he is resigned to it and has even learned to appreciate it.
So Best Buy, consider yourself warned. My capacity for volume and endurance is unparalleled.

No comments:

Blog Archive