Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Things you wouldn't know by looking at me

Be sure to check out Molly and Trina's blogs on the same topic.

1. I love all things British: The literature, the accent, the BBC America station, the Beatles, Collin Firth, you name it.
2. Steel Magnolias and Gone with the Wind are two of my favorite movies-- To look at me, you'd never think I was such a sap.
3. I'm a vegetarian
4. My family is extremely rednecc-- The Coors Light, monster truck, piss out the backdoor of the trailer kind of redneck. You could say I'm the white sheep of the family.
5. I love Duran Duran-- dorky, I know. Maybe it's the British thing again.
6. I can recite the alphabet backwards.
7. My husband and I have grandparents named exactly the same thing-- We both have a set of grandparents named Hurbert and Delphie. Don't worry, they're not the same people.
8. My mother wanted to name me Bobbi-- Thank heavens my father refused.
9. I was in marching band all four years of high school-- I played the flute, piccolo, and xylophone. Hey, no bashing the band! My high school was so backward, band members were the cool kids. No kidding.
10. I love animals-- I worry about them obsessively. If a dog barks in the neighborhood, I beg Michael to go check on it. I once pleaded with him to rescue a duck we saw in the parking lot of Lowe's. We had a pool see, so we had the perfect habitat for a duck.
11. I am an only child and I have two sisters-- it's a step/half thing. I am my mother's only child, but my father has a daughter by his second marriage, and his wife has a daughter from her first marriage. Confused yet?
12. I have a tattoo-- It's covered by my clothes, but I'm really proud of it. It's a triple moon symbol, and I got it after my fifth brain surgery. I felt strongly that I wanted to do something permanent to my body that was by my choice, not by necessity. And it's much prettier than the scar on the back of my head. Getting the tattoo was about feeling like I was in control of something. It took courage, and I try to remember that act of courage whenever I feel weak or cowardly or scared.
13. I'm pregnant! You wouldn't know it to look at me yet because I'm only a little pregnant, but I am most certainly pregnant!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I remember the duck. I am still a little surprised you couldn't convince Michael to bring the duck home.

And how fun is that last thing to say?

Anonymous said...

Yay!! how exciting is that? the pregnancy thing...not the worrying about animals or almost being named Bobbi.

Blog Archive